Have you noticed a faint odor coming from your washing machine? The washing machine, along with your clothes, is washed every time you do laundry. Washing machines often have a more noticeable smell in the summer months, especially in areas with high-humidity. If not treated properly, the odor can transfer to your clothes. The following tips should help keep your washer clean and odor-free.
Always check the manual first. Most washers come with cleaning instructions. On a monthly basis, use Tide Washing Machine Cleaner to clean and freshen your machine.
- Remove all clothes and other items from your washer.
- Pour the washing machine cleaner into the drum of your machine, following the instructions on the package.
- Run your washer on a hot, empty cycle to thoroughly clean the washer drum.
- Wipe down the inside and outside of the washer with soapy water. Clean the inside of the drum as well.
- Leave the door and the dispenser drawer slightly open when not in use, this allows the washer to airdry.
- After cleaning, proceed with your laundry as usual.
Of course, another cause of a musty washing machine could be related to how long you leave wet clothing in the washer. If you leave wet clothes in there for too long, it will mildew. Be sure to take out your load immediately when the cycle finishes.